JDIY13 : Edison Lamp


After I collected a number of larger canning jars, there was a project that I kept thinking of, which was a vintage lamp using an Edison light bulb. Edison light bulbs are very cool looking, and have become trendy because they show off elaborate filaments instead of the basic straight style that come with regular bulbs.

I initially wanted to put the light on a small base but decided to stick with a single piece as the base because it looked much better and added another level of difficulty to keep everything hidden to remain a “clean” look.

Parts:
Edison Light
Light Cord w/ Switch
Pine Board (8”x8”)
Wood Stain
Large Glass Jar

Tools Used:
Router w/ Bit
Dremel
Drill
Hole Saw (4” & 3/4”)
Straight Chisel
Sand Paper
Wood Stain

To make the lamp, I started off with a 12x1x6 piece of pine and cut it a 8x8 inch square for the base. Then used a 4” hole bit to start the jar mount and finished with a Dremel and chisel to create a trough for the jar to sit into. Used a 3/4” hole saw to create the light fixture hole to hold the light fixture. Finished shaping the 8x8 base with a router to make a simple yet effective look around it, sanded to smooth and then stained it. I added some black felt on the bottom to hold the power wire in place and protect any surface that it could be put on. I had to cut the light cord to be able to fit in the base, as it was designed to be a hanging light instead of a desk light, but I soldered the wire together, and protected the power cord with heat shrink.

I am very happy with the project, and came out exactly how I envisioned. I will make another one once I make some night stands for the bedroom. I think this will be one of the items that I will put up in my online store, as the ones I've seen in stores cost upward to $60 and this one features some reclaimed glass to add character.

Light Specs:
Power 40W (estimate Cost $4.82 / year @ 0.11/kWh)
Warm 2700 K
Life 1000 Days @ average of 3 hours per day
Brightness 180 lumens

Difficulty: !!
A simple 2 of 5, a nice weekend project. It doesn't require a lot of specialty tools or knowledge like coding. The hardest part is just making sure you dont break the base when working on it and getting the jar to use.