JDIY2 : Motion Controlled Bathroom Light


This project was a present to my wife who enjoys night lighting throughout the house. I knew it had to be something simple and that it couldn't interfere with any daily functions, like using the toilet, regular cleaning, and anything else I could think of for regular use.

I came up with 2, and ended up going with 3 LEDs under the seat held by some tape (I know, super space age), that way if I needed to make any changes it could be done easily and without any long term damage with using a router to create some embedded style lights. The simpler method was the correct way I think, until I get a seat to test on I'm sure. I have worked with PIR (proximity sensor) before in several applications; it's a simple infrared sensor that picks up any motion within a 60 degree-ish field of view. The LED are controlled through a 2N3904 NPN Transistor. The 2N3904 NPN Transistors are great for microcontrollers, it lets a low voltage I/O pin (3.3V) control a much higher voltages and current draws.

There was a request to add a shower light to the project, the night lights where just not enough to light up the shower area too. First, I came up with a drawing of what I wanted it to look like and went from there. I wanted to make a hanging piece and wanted it to have lights. I came up with the 406 and Montana for obvious reasons and wanted to do more with my Dremel. I had not tried to use a Dremel for more than cutting and some basic stuff, and this project called for a lot more.

I ended up burning through my XPR (R.I.P. little buddy, it was a beast), when I was cutting 1/2 inch pine. I used the table saw to half some 1/2 inch and got a super nice thin sheets I was able to breeze through. Using the new Dremel 3000, I cut out a 406 and the shape of Montana out of pine sheet (just buying them from the Hobby store next time), and then layered them together. The Dremel 3000 series (with extended plan, just in case) was a great purchase, it works perfectly with all my XPR attachments and was able to do everything I needed to without much effort. I used tiny SS blue LEDs for the 406 back lights, the same kind I used for the toilet seat, and regular T1 style LEDs for the white state back light. I didn't want to overpower the eyes and worked great with the small testing I did. I was thinking of powering everything with the one Prop that is on the floor but opted to use a PropStickUSB because I wanted each piece to be able to be used or controlled separately if someone wanted to build each. I found a DIY stain for the 406 that I thought would pop on the sapphire state; I dont think I nailed it like the video but still has some aging properties.

How to Oxidize (Age) New Wood & Get A Vintage Look

I ended up using the rust the steel wool and vinegar created to make the back piece pop with some cool red/brown. All and all it worked out great, very happy it came together. If you want to build it and have any questions, feel free to reach out and I'll give you any tips to help.

Difficulty: !!!
The difficulty of this project gets upgraded to a 3x because all the changes needed and potential issues that could arise and did arise. The coding again, only took me all but a day and simple testing, and the soldering was easy and again could be done in a day. This whole project took me a weekend, but it doesn't take away from its functions. Night goers are all happy with the blue lights, and the shower light works perfectly

Here are a couple videos; the first one is the updated video and below is the original demonstration video.